•October 16, 2015 • Leave a Comment
Okay, this is (possibly) the coolest way to end my week. The following is a follow up article to one that discusses some strange sh@t going on at a star Kepler tagged some number of years ago. This story will give you the original article and that one will give you a link to the research paper. There is going to be some serious follow ups to this that you’ll read in the articles and it will take months if not years to get an idea of what it really is.
A Dyson Sphere?
Normally I chuckle at these things but read the articles. It’s pretty interesting. At the very least, if this is not some alien mega structure(s), it is something new we have not yet observed around the 150,000 stars we have Kepler data on.
•October 12, 2015 • 1 Comment
Spent way too much time screwing around with portholes! I did all kinds of treatments and then settled on applying actual room images (like they first did in Voyager). I found all kinds of cool ‘modern’ rooms and dropped them into the window insets. They look fine but no better than just a nicely done abstract shadow texture. I’ll probably find that it will be nicer I spent the time on it. I also redid the escape hatch panels as the texture overlay and specular maps where poorly scaled.
Have to stick with that or I’ll go bonkers about the time I spent…
•October 6, 2015 • 1 Comment
•October 1, 2015 • Leave a Comment
Long time since anything posted here. Not unusual for me though, right? :)
Real life has been busy and taken the few time slices away that I have had for modelling fun. Additionally, I have been experimenting with various new material types for this particular model. Probably giving away what I am working on with these update pics but, oh well.
I have switched to a multi-layer Blinn shader. I probably have a few more tweaks to go in how I set the various maps up but like where this has landed. These examples are just with a slight ambient rig and a single point (spot) light on the model element. If I stick with this I would probably get some nice output layers for post work.
•September 10, 2015 • Leave a Comment
I have had this project idea brewing for a couple of years (based on the file date) that I got re-interested in. A result of going through various folders and thumb drives – etc. It was a thought on demonstrating where I started to where I am today. It was also a departure from how I like to model versus how I can if I spend real time on something.
I won’t give all the details right now but some folks will guess, in part, what I am up to after a few posts. And, of course, there is always the reality I will see some shiny new thing and go off the reservation again!
The following is a single part of a much larger mesh. Each part will have no less than 1K texture maps (small parts at 1K and large up to 4K). This is a single hatch plate in a series on a model and each will have some unique property so they do not look like copies / clones. I have worked it out in PS to make it very easy. We will see.
The model is about 70% done except for some tweaks here and there and one major component. It’s been fun so far.
•August 26, 2015 • Leave a Comment
More updates on the Honor Harrington Manticorian cruiser. I cloned almost all the small parts that make up the hatches, missile ports and do-dads. I applied texture treatments to all these elements as well. I have to finish the bow/aft chaser elements next. I have decided there are way to many inconsistencies on how the ship bays work that I am going to make some changes there in the next pass. I am going to scale the bay to the largest class of auxiliary that this class of ship can accommodate. I am then going to add docking doors for receiving those ships into a hanger either forward or aft depending on the bay.
Of course, then I will not put anything in there. Too much work :)
•August 24, 2015 • Leave a Comment
As time permits I continue to go through all my dispersed and unorganized, offline stored, files and came across the image below. It was a PSD file that I never saved out as a finished file. I had created a couple of scenes for this project after I finished the model, it is a Chris Reyes (ATOLM) design. I had settled on just a top view only scene with the ship zipping around. I must have wanted this one too as I delete useless and space consuming PSD files if I don’t like what I had done.
•August 20, 2015 • 2 Comments
Between past disk crashes, lost backups and – well, to be honest – a lack of proper organization, I have lost and misplaced a ton of CG projects over the years. For example, I have a very nice TOS era station, designed by Masao (G3 class), that I have no idea where it went. It may be on an old disk I have laying around or one of a number of thumb drives I have. Then there is various cloud storage that I have to recall. Oh! Oh! – and CD’s (really).
So I have started trying to collect all this crap and sort through it. Get rid of projects that have been redone, meaning delete, and get them collected and categorized. Then I need to decide what priority they will be worked on, if ever, and try and slog through it. I had the same problem when I physically modeled. I had a whole shelf system in the garage with partial build kits.
I found this odd project folder file on a thumb titled New Trek. It was about a year old and I had no idea what the heck it was. I opened it and did the following quick renders. I have no recollection of this project. I think I was experimenting with Wings3D and creating TOS’ish hulls. Anyway, this what I have been working on (the file organizing) recently. If I find anything else interesting I’ll give a share.